Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 2
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

January 2022
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Author Topic: Ground Combat Controls  (Read 1761 times)

SeaOfSorrows

• Lieutenant
  • Star Trek is for nerds.
Ground Combat Controls
« on: October 21, 2018, 03:37:12 AM »
Ok, so I want to throw this out there so people can laugh at me.  ;D

Reading around on various sites it seems that most players use RPG Mode for combat as opposed to Shooter Mode. I have even read that Shooter Mode is basically for people who don't know how to play. This was a little funny for me because I have always played in Shooter Mode and I do just fine in combat, even elites.

Still, I decided to play around because I always like to try new things and see if I can get a little better. I played a bit with RPG mode.. and I don't get it. How on earth can this mode be used in combat?

The first problem, you have to attack using 1 and 2 keys instead of mouse buttons. This means I can't keep my fingers on the WASD Keys that I need to move, so I am standing still the entire time. I tried mapping 1 and 2 to left and right click but then clicks else ware stop me from firing or make me fire in random directions. How in the world does anyone make this work? Do you use the Autofire Feature?

What I do now is play in Shooter Mode and I have certain key buffs/heals bound to keybinds since you can't freely click your tray. The biggest limitation is that you can't use Tab Targeting like this which makes maps like Bug Hunt harder because I have to see and aim at my targets instead of just being able to tab through them and autofire on them.

I am doing fine now, I am just curious.. because when trying RPG mode.. I don't get how this mode is even remotely usable. Being as to how the majority of players play this way though, it's obvious that the problem is me.

So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.  8)
Too much self love makes you jealous of those that envy you.

Connor

• Omega Combat Division
  • Command Officer
  • Captain
  • Third Watch
Re: Ground Combat Controls
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 11:07:24 PM »
Hello Sea,

you bring up a very interesting topic for me but unfortunately it is one I canít contribute much to.  ???

I remember when I installed STO six and a half years ago that I found ground so terrible that I was in danger to uninstall the game again, then I discovered shooter mode and kept on playing until now.

It is correct that RPG mode is considered better. Feli heavily recommended using it to me a few weeks ago when he saw that I donít. Has something to do with always hitting the targets there while in shooter mode its entirely up to your skill if you hit or miss. I asked him how he could tolerate playing RPG mode and he said itís as easy as flying in space.  Lol yea thanks Feli, great advise, that helped a lot.  ;D

I gave RPG mode another try but sadly was forced to abandon that endeavor just after a few minutes as thoughts about uninstalling STO immediatly occurred to me again. I probably should try harder, no idea. 

For what itís worth perhaps Lee and Ezria can help out here a bit better. When in game I ask them.  :) 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 11:12:12 PM by Connor »

You joined Omega Combat Division
<Dev>Tacofangs@nduguid: Np Neela!
Connor@peterconnorfirst does not believe in a No-Win scenario.

SeaOfSorrows

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 11:53:07 PM »
Hello Sea,

you bring up a very interesting topic for me but unfortunately it is one I canít contribute much to.  ???

I remember when I installed STO six and a half years ago that I found ground so terrible that I was in danger to uninstall the game again, then I discovered shooter mode and kept on playing until now.

It is correct that RPG mode is considered better. Feli heavily recommended using it to me a few weeks ago when he saw that I donít. Has something to do with always hitting the targets there while in shooter mode its entirely up to your skill if you hit or miss. I asked him how he could tolerate playing RPG mode and he said itís as easy as flying in space.  Lol yea thanks Feli, great advise, that helped a lot.  ;D

I gave RPG mode another try but sadly was forced to abandon that endeavor just after a few minutes as thoughts about uninstalling STO immediatly occurred to me again. I probably should try harder, no idea. 

For what itís worth perhaps Lee and Ezria can help out here a bit better. When in game I ask them.  :)

Ha!.. Nice.  :)

I'm just glad I am not the only one that feels this way. I am just mostly asking out of curiosity.. I have been using Shooter Mode for so many years that it's unlikely that I will change now. I tried RPG mode and I just don't get it.

It's all good, like I said.. I am happy using Shooter Mode it's just more curiosity then anything else. I have my keys and everything all set up so it's easy as can be, I was just under the impression that I was the only person using it. Good to know that there is at least one other.  ;D

Lee

• Supervisor
  • Captain
  • Known as simply.... Lee
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 05:12:38 PM »
I think i can help...RPG mode sounds like "Aim Mode."

In controls i turn off zoom camera while in aim mode,
i also turn on using aim mode as a toggle.

Once ur walking slowly and gun is aimed whre u look u know you're in aim mode theres also the buffs that show while its activated
@alzlee: No Win Scenario? Heh Bring It!
You really must learn to govern your passions, They will be your undoing -Spock

SeaOfSorrows

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 11:40:08 PM »

Once ur walking slowly and gun is aimed whre u look u know you're in aim mode theres also the buffs that show while its activated

Aim Mode is 'Shooter Mode.' It's the zoomed in mode.

RPG Mode is the default mode with a free mouse arrow moving around the screen.

I have seen plenty of comments from people saying they play in RPG or 'Free Mouse' mode as opposed to 'Aim Mode.' I have attempted to replicate this play style and don't get how people are able to do it. The free mouse mode has some advantages, you can activate auto fire similar to how space weapons work, then you just tab between targets for continuous fire and you don't have to actually Aim. Problem is, as stated above, it maps fire to 1 and 2 keys and it's hard to both use the 1/2 keys and move with the WASD at the same time hence the focus of my query.

Aim mode works fine for me, I'll likely just stick with it.

Lee

• Supervisor
  • Captain
  • Known as simply.... Lee
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 08:01:18 AM »

Aim Mode is 'Shooter Mode.' It's the zoomed in mode.

RPG Mode is the default mode with a free mouse arrow moving around the screen.

I have seen plenty of comments from people saying they play in RPG or 'Free Mouse' mode as opposed to 'Aim Mode.' I have attempted to replicate this play style and don't get how people are able to do it. The free mouse mode has some advantages, you can activate auto fire similar to how space weapons work, then you just tab between targets for continuous fire and you don't have to actually Aim. Problem is, as stated above, it maps fire to 1 and 2 keys and it's hard to both use the 1/2 keys and move with the WASD at the same time hence the focus of my query.

Aim mode works fine for me, I'll likely just stick with it.

Oh i get it kinda like adding a DOOM style feel to the controls.

I often thought of shooter mode as sniper mode so didn't realize that.

I can see the appeal of RPG mode but if i tried it in say BHE and IGA it'll take me forever to learn not to fall lol simply because my brain sorta has scorch memory marks of how to play with shooter/aim mode. 
@alzlee: No Win Scenario? Heh Bring It!
You really must learn to govern your passions, They will be your undoing -Spock

Enterprise © Bloc